Why is it so hard to go back to your own home country ?

I am presently in the state of mind where I have decided to go back to my home country i.e. India. But still there are few things which confuse me sometimes, and I am trying to list down all the points why it becomes so hard to go back to India, when you are currently holding a good job in United States.

1. Its something very unusual : Most of us live our life by example's , we make up in our mind image of some person or a general trend and consciously or unconsciously we follow that. But when I try to find an example of a person who has gone back to India when he has all the options of continuing the job in United states ,I don't find even a single.

2. Money : This one goes hand in hand with the first one. The income you earn in United States is much more than what an average software engineer earns in India. That is the reason it takes a lot of courage to even think about this decision.

3. Dude, are you really going back? :  This is the kind of reaction which I get from almost all, when I tell them that I don't plan to be in United States for very long. Nobody will ever advice you to go back. Because going back is not the logical approach to life, and that is the way our brains are trained to think.

4. Work Culture, Life Style, General Administration : These are few things in which USA are really better than India. I have not worked or closely observed work culture in any Indian organization, but there is a general notion that work culture is way better in US compared to India. General Administration that includes excellent roads, perfect traffic rules, great customer support, there are many such things that makes America a great country to settle down.

5. Fear of unknown : There is always a fear of unknown when you are going to do something new. I read somewhere, Life is all about making correct decisions, and these kind of decisions do change life.

6. Luring:  For some obvious reasons its very luring to stay back. I have seen people who always wanted to go back but kept on persuading themselves to stay back.


Now just to get my thoughts organized, I will try to list the reasons of why I want to go back.

1. Never planned to stay here : I landed up in this country as a decision of coming here for Masters and gaining more knowledge after my bachelors degree. I dint really knew what a person earns after completing  the masters or that was the main reason people come to US for. After coming here it came to me as a blow that most people come here to earn big money. My mind was never really able to adapt this thing, and it was always in my mind to go back.

2. Its not how I want my life to be : Its said decision making are easy for people who knows what their values are .Life here is good, but this is not how I see my life to be like, the reason of going back is more of a emotional rather than practical. Personally, I feel there is some positive energy flowing through the body when you are near to your loved ones (family and friends). Although you are not with them, but just a thought of being near gives a sense of calmness to mind.

3. Life Style:  Although I stated earlier that life style is better in United States, but I think that I cannot really enjoy these materialistic things when I am not around the one with whom I really want to share these things. Also there are little life pleasures which I like about India that cannot be found here.

4. Life is short : I believe that life is really short, and I don't want to spend it doing that I don't want to do, I might regret going back, but I really don't want to regret not going back.

5. Make new mistakes : As this is going to be a very unusual thing, it can be new mistake in my life, and that's the only way you really grow in your life. Just doing the same thing as others are doing ,is not much fun :)


This post is a personal thought organizing post , this is not a set of ideas I am trying to impose on others.
There is nothing wrong with staying back in any foreign country as long as you are happy with what you are doing. Also I came across these beautiful lines I did not decided to be an Indian, I was born lucky :D
Now going back to be lucky again.




Comments

  1. Superb Post Tush !
    My thinking goes with you, What is the use of such lure things when you cannot share/enjoy them with your loved ones, family, friends ..

    There is always a deep sentiment which holds the heart when you're in India !

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tushar, I somehow stumbled on this personal blogpost and I'm really glad I did. I took this same decision in 2014 ( by the way I'm Nigerian). It just felt right. I agree with all the points you made, life is short, being close to loved ones, what's fun/enjoyment without doing it with people you love etc.

    My decision was the most stupid to a lot of friends back in the States, even till now I still get asked; 'why did you come back'? (most especially that I didn't get a job when I got back, rather I'm starting my own business).

    However, in my heart of hearts it still feels like the right thing to do. I don't feel caged or restricted like when I was in Manhattan. Yea, life is not as smooth as in the U.S but I was born here, and I sure can survive it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tushar ,

    I came across your post while i was looking in quora abt how other like minded people are thinking . Well looks like we think almost the same . I am moving back to india in Feb . I have been in US close to abt 7.5 yrs . Its a plunge into the unknown but I think its a plunge worth taking .


    - Bhargav

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi tushar this is yash.its been just one month since i landed in australia. When i was back in india i used to thought that foreign countries are way better and all but now i do realise that i was living in a wonderful place... I have a thought that i would move back to india after completing my degree but at the same time i fear that my mind will change and i will like it here.. But honestly i dont want that,there is a special connection with india which i realised after coming here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tushar

    Not sure if this message gets across to you since you seem to have not been on your blog for a while. My husband and I are wanting to go back to India. Main reason, parents are getting old and it would be criminal to let them die without our help and support while we live a good life here. We have been abroad for more than 15 years. So going back is sure a matter of courage but I don't think it would be a life more harder than what our patriots' hardships might have been during freedom struggle. My question to you: How is life in India if you have already returned? I would like to know your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tushar,

    Great article. I can completely relate to it, and plan on going back to India too. I have completed my masters, and have been working for about 6 months now.
    As you said, being with family and friends gives you the positive energy that you need, and there is nothing better than home :)
    Once again keep up the good work, and thank you for giving me encouragement regarding to my decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tushar,

    Nice article. I was able to relate myself in lot of situations. It has helped me a lot in answering many of the questions and clearing my doubt about coming back to India after completing Masters from USA . But just one question which I couldn’t find an answer was
    “How much does Master’s degree from a foreign Universities matter in Indian IT Industry? How has it helped you , if you could share little bit of your experience.”
    What I mean in above question is that does a Master’s guy gets preference over non-Master’s in long run OR if I am good at my job , then I don’t need a Master’s degree. Because going to US and spending around 30-40 lakhs and then coming back to India and opting for job which would pay only around 15-20 LPA will not fit correctly.

    Thanks,
    Abhinav Srivastava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found this post helpful. I guess you have found the answer through the fb communication.

      Delete
    2. I am also having the same set of questions. Need your help man. Please give me some channel where i can talk one to one.

      Delete
    3. Tushar,

      Can you please post your answer to Abhinav's question here.

      Delete
  9. Can you send me the answer to Abhinav Srivastava's question "How much does Master’s degree from a foreign Universities matter in Indian IT Industry? How has it helped you , if you could share little bit of your experience."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting this. Decisions of this kind aren't easy and the fear of the unknown can be paralyzing. But God has a plan and He will carry it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,

    I am also in a situation where I really don't want to live in Canada due to tons of reasons. I know having a quality life improves a person standard of living but it's true that living to closed ones especially your family gives you a sense of calmness and I worked in Canada for 1 year at 3 different jobs and completed my diploma for 2 years in Business Marketing but I am not at all happy living here and I have decided after thinking 5 months and changing my place and job to move back to India. I hope it turns out to be a bestest decision ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tandon. I'm also in Canada for Post Graduation with same intention of moving back after gaining 1-2 years of experience. Can we just connect on social media cz I want some information regarding this. Thanks :)

      Delete
  12. thanks for the Article, its really encouraging and i can relate to most of your point. after living in Sydney, for 7 years completing my bachelor and master study. now i am back in the small town in Indonesia. i am just back for 3 months, sometimes i still think maybe i made a wrong decision, but i knew from the start i dont want to grow old in Australia.

    looking forward to how life turns out.
    thank you so much for the article, God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope things are going great for you. Thanks.

      Delete
  13. You made my day. I am currently going for my Master's and I can only find people who tell me that you cannot return once you get into the US. This blog will be my guiding light and my motivator to go and study in the US and get that education I had always wanted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Six months in States- Time for self evaluation

25 Random things about ME

जान्हवी